Great Optical Illusion

Here.

Comments

  1. Just the letters themselves are the same color, not the squares containing the letters, right? The squares (containing the letters) in the first picture don't look the same as the corresponding squares in the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The squares are the same color. You can use something like the Macintosh color utility to confirm this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great illusion! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man alive, that was freaky. At first I didn't believe it, but then when I really tried to isolate just those two squares, they suddenly changed before my eyes and I "saw" that they were the same color. Freaky deaky Dutch.

    I sincerely hope that if someone held up two gray bars next to anarcho-capitalism and communism, the same thing wouldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What?! There are two gay bars next to anarcho-capitalism and communism?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I couldn't even convince myself, visually, that they were the same - I had to call up the Mac color sampler app and see the RGB values were the same before I believed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeh, I've seen this before and was just as surprised.

    Of course, given the real world, the "truthy" way our brains process this image is actually the most helpful one. That is, we expect illuminated objects to cast shadows, so that background appears to be a relatively uniform one of black and white squares (we probably also have congitive predilections re: backgrounds as well). If we didn't have these cognitive predilections - which can trick us in some cases - we'd have more difficulty in interpreting what we see in the real; world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness